Sunday, November 3, 2013

Calling all prayer warriors...

******* MAJOR UPDATE AND PRAYER REQUEST...
-It has taken me all day to get a post together due to all different kinds of interruptions, so now that I almost have it done...  we just received some more information that means we have big decisions to make (so finishing my other post will have to wait)!!!

Our Cardiologist came in today (her day off) and spent the whole day at the hospital just for Grace (she's so sweet).  I asked her if it would make sense for Grace to have another echo done today since the last one was done right after "the wheels fell off" on Wednesday, in case things looked any different which would give them a more complete picture of Grace to present at the conference tomorrow.  She totally agreed, so Grace had an echo which showed that things were relatively unchanged from the previous echo; therefore, it is clear that something needs to be done with her heart because it just isn't happy.  At that point, we agreed that it probably makes the most sense to go back to Boston, assuming that my insurance would cover the super costly life flight, etc....  Then, she just came by again and shared with us that the head of the Cardiology Department said that he was concerned that the cost of flying Grace back to Boston could wipe us out financially, about the burden it would place on our family for Grace and David to go back to Boston for such an extended stay, and he doesn't want us to feel like they are kicking us out of TCH, so he wants to help.  Let me stop here and say that we are impressed with his leadership and grateful that he has expressed such care and concern for our family because we were sort of feeling abandoned. So, the surgery that he is offering is basically going back to where we were two surgeries ago, rather than trying to make the bi-vent repair work (remember they have totally different philosophies at TCH and Boston).  The difficulty in making this decision is that it is easier and less risky upfront to go TCH's route, however, the long term risk is greater.  If we go back to Boston now, and most likely have a mitral valve replacement, it is more risky up front, but if it works it will provide a better long term strategy (Lord willing).  Our heart and gut says to go back to Boston because we feel like the Lord led us there to begin with and we are so much more comfortable there, but we just want to make sure that, without a doubt, it is God's will and not our own preference in any way.  The team at TCH is still planing to meet tomorrow at 7:30 am to discuss our case, but at this point we pretty much already know our options (the meeting tomorrow will just solidify those options or throw another wrench in the road :-).  Will you please pray that God makes His will abundantly clear to us and that all obstacles would be removed either way?  Assuming that our insurance will approve the (very expensive) medical flight back to Boston, David and Grace could be on their way tomorrow afternoon or Tuesday morning!  It is so hard for me (and the kids) to wrap our minds around us all being split up again, especially in such high risk circumstances and through the Holidays (Andrew's birthday, Thanksgiving, Christmas...), but we trust that if it's God's will it won't just be ok, it will be good because God is good.  That's kind of the mantra in our house :-).

One of God's many sweet blessings today is that it just so happened that the kids got to come see Grace today because my sister in love took them to the Dynamo soccer game (which is near the hospital, making it a good pick up and drop off location).  In the event that David and Grace do go to Boston tomorrow, the timing couldn't have been more perfect!



Village we know that y'all have been standing in the gap for us this weekend because we have felt it and we just humbly ask that you please continue to flood heaven with prayers for wisdom, favor, healing, strength, peace, and joy as big decisions are being made and carried out.  THANK YOU!!!

3 comments:

The Keierleber Family said...

PRAYING for ABSOLUTE clarity!!! Being unsure is the worst!

Kathy A. said...

God's plans are perfect; we pray they are absolutely CLEAR to you!!!!!

"I am your Salvation; trust in Me and do not be afraid. I am your strength and your song".

Isaiah 12:2

Susan Gruca said...

The Gruca's thoughts are always with you. If u do end up in Boston, Ian is closest so if u need anything, don't hesitate to call him.